Heroes of the Storm Forums

Muradin, my thoughts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » December 18, 2014 6:59am | Report
I've been trying to play Muradin a bit of late and wanted to share my default build. I try to shift it up a bit depending on the map and team matchup, but this is my go-to build:
Tier 1
Perfect Storm - I don't find a whole lot of use for most of the talents in this tree on a normal basis. I typically default to Perfect Storm and spend most of the early game hurling Stormbolt at enemy heroes just to build the damage on it for later in the game and get them out of position while I try to press my lane.

Alternative(s):
Reverberation - If I know I'm going to be doing some early mercenary camp capturing (such as the Haunted Mines), I may consider using Reverberation instead of Perfect Storm. It allows me to lane and merc a bit easier by reducing incoming damage. This talent is also a good choice if the enemy team is composed of heroes that do high damage with fast basic attacks. (Valla, Zeratul, etc).

Tier 2
Thunderburn - My go-to talent in this tier is Thunderburn. I've gotten some interesting responses to this choice, as some people seem to think it's great and others think it's not-so-great. Personally, I have found it to be extremely useful in clearing lanes, helping with capturing mercenary camps and even fighting other heroes, especially around objectives like the Ravenlord Tributes and the Dragon Knight shrines. The best part of this talent seems to be that any modifiers you place on Thunderclap also trigger in its second attack (Reverberation, for instance).

Alternative(s):
Third Wind - Particularly if you're serving as the main tank of the group, this talent increases Muradin's already impressive staying power and allows him to return to the fight even quicker. The only real drawback to this talent is that it doesn't increase your utility or damage.

Sledgehammer - If your strategy is get an early advantage against the enemy's forts and gates, then Sledgehammer can quickly give you a lane advantage by doing massive damage to cannon towers and forts, as well as depleting ammo. I'm not sure if the damage increase works on boss camps.

Tier 3
Piercing Bolt - As with tier 1, I don't find a whole lot of use for the other tlaents in this tier. Piercing Bolt allows you to stun two enemy heroes in tight spaces (like around objectives or capture points), hit a target through an obstruction (like smash a ranged hero trying to fight you from behind their gate) or hit a target when there's a minion in the way. When combined with Perfect Storm, you can increase your damage by 10 in one throw.

Alternative(s):
Landing Momentum - If you're dealing with a highly mobile enemy team, then this talent can be both a life saver and an essential gap closer. Two seconds of increased speed triggered by a single ability with a lengthy cooldown and high mana cost doesn't sound like much, but when used at the right time, this talent can allow you to escape otherwise certain death or to edge around an enemy to block their escape route and score your team a kill.

Tier 4
Haymaker - Less of a talent, and more of an ability choice. I prefer Haymaker because it allows Muradin to push enemies out of position. This is great for knocking enemies away from the safety of their team, into your towers or into your team ready to pounce on them, away from objectives or capture points or out of the cover of minions. It also does some pretty significant damage, to boot.

Alternative(s):
Avatar - The only other choice in the tier. Avatar is a great ability, especially when serving as a tank or dealing with a high-damage, high-mobility enemy team. It gives you increased health and a stun on basic attacks. You can augment it later with a reduction to disabling effects and an increased duration. The primary reason I favor Haymaker over Avatar is I find it to be a more versatile ability.

Tier 5
Rewind - I honestly don't feel like I've figured this tier out very well yet. I default to Rewind simply because the ability to gain my attacks the moment I need them allows me to surprise an enemy with two stuns or slows in a row, or two leap into battle and right back out as necessary. However, it does require that you have some built up mana to make use of those renewed abilities, otherwise it's just wasted.

Alternative(s):
Burning Rage - I am growing increasingly fond of this talent. It allows for some quick lane clearing, dropping enemy heroes out of stealth when they accidentally brush by you, increased DPS against enemy heroes and gives you damage when body-blocking an enemy hero. The damage scales pretty decently, as well.

Spell Shield - An extremely useful talent if the enemy team has a high burst composition, or even if they simply have a well played high burst character (Nova, for instance).

Thunderstrike - A useful talent on maps where you will be fighting boss mobs (Haunted Mines, Garden of Terror) on a regular basis, as it allows your Thunderclap to do some pretty impressive damage to them and if you took Thunderburn, it applies to the second strike as well. It's also good against enemy heroes if you find yourself facing them one-on-one regularly. The only real drawback to this talent is that it does absolutely nothing for you if you hit more than one target, which will happen quite often. (This includes buildings).

Tier 6
Dwarf Launch - Another tier that I feel is very situational and I'm not sure I've really figured it out yet. I default to Dwarf Launch in most cases because the increased mobility allows me a lot gap closing or escape that I am otherwise denied. It also works well for increasing the overall range of Stormbolt (leap, then bolt).

Alternative(s):
Stoneform - This one is on par with Dwarf Launch in my opinion. It is a very powerful heal and be used on demand, which gives you a lot more staying power. If you're not interested in increased mobility and/or you didn't take Haymaker then this is probably the better option. When combined with Avatar, the increased health pool gives you a significantly larger heal.

Executioner - This talent works wonders for your damage, especially in a Thunderclap build (Reverberation, Thunderburn) because literally everything Muradin does except Dwarf Toss applies the "disabled" effect. It can be used to cleave down enemy heroes or boss mobs in record time.

Imposing Presence - Like Reverberation, this talent works best against enemies that have rapid-fire, high damage basic attacks. (Zeratul, Valla). The biggest advantage it has over Reverberation is it's not limited by range nor duration. It also works really well against a Nova using Armor Piercing Rounds, as it basically means she'll only ever get one basic attack against you because her rate of fire would be something like seven seconds against you.

Tier 7
Grand Slam - This talent is amazing if you took Haymaker. I've already discussed why Haymaker is solid on its own, this increases its damage by 25% and allows you to use it twice. This gives you even more ability to disrupt enemy positioning, bait and trap (or bait and punch) and do impressive damage to enemy heroes.

Alternative(s):
Resurgence of the Storm - This becomes my default if the enemy team is exceptionally adept at destroying me or I find myself taking risks to secure objectives. The ability to sacrifice yourself to secure an objective and immediately come back to the field is invaluable in a close game.

Conclusion:

As stated at the beginning, I'm hardly an expert but these are my picks and preferences for my favorite hero. I'm still learning and definitely am open to (and encourage) discussion, criticism or debate.

I appreciate the time you spent reading this far and welcome your input.

~Valadeus
Raynes #1676
Always looking to enjoy a few good games.

Valadeus
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by hudson » December 18, 2014 9:55am | Report
I'm yet to play Muradin but will be sure to try this build out when doing so!

+Rep if I helped you out or if you liked my Santa hat

hudson
Quote | PM | +Rep by Crs Grim » December 18, 2014 2:58pm | Report
So did resurgence totally fall out of fashion?

Grim is a top rank Heroes player and guide creator. He has over 5600games played with Tassadar. So you can be sure you are getting quality content and info. Today, he is currently a free-agent looking for a pro team. Before he was a former member of TeamCurse Gaming and ZDK gaming.

Feel free to check out the guide:

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Crs Grim
Remarkable (33)
BattleTag:
twitch.tv/cozybison
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » December 18, 2014 5:07pm | Report
Crs Grim wrote:

So did resurgence totally fall out of fashion?

I don't know if it has fallen out of fashion, it simply isn't my default unless I"m having trouble surviving or there have been too many close calls for my tastes. If I can increase my offensive power and my ability to control the field (put my enemies out of position or isolate an objective) with Grand Slam, I tend to find it more useful in a wider array of situations than Resurgence.

Resurgence is definitely recommended against teams that have high burst damage.
Raynes #1676

Valadeus
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » December 18, 2014 5:10pm | Report
hudson wrote:

I'm yet to play Muradin but will be sure to try this build out when doing so!

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it and if you come up with some alternatives or criticisms, please share them.
Raynes #1676

Valadeus
Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved