Heroes of the Storm Forums

Coding Help & FAQ

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » August 22, 2014 1:37pm | Report
First of all, we have a list of all the available bbcode tags here, if you're just looking for what we have and how to word it.

There are already a lot of options at the top of the text editor (click "more options" when posting comments / in chapters when writing guides) so check those out too!

When using multiple parameters such as text that is both bold and underlined, make sure the parameters are nested. This means the parameter that comes first ends last, the parameter that comes second ends second to last, the parameter that comes third ends third to last, and so on.

Example: [b][i][u]Bold Italicized AND Underlined![/u][/i][/b] = Bold Italicized AND Underlined!

Here are some useful / common coding examples:

Wikibase Icons

[[malfurion]]
[icon=malfurion]
[icon=malfurion size=75]

Images and Media

When linking an image it needs to be uploaded somewhere on the internet. You then need to get the IMAGE URL (not the page url). Do this by right clicking the image and selecting "Copy Image URL", then paste into the [img] code. If you need somewhere to upload your image, you can use an image upload service like Imgur or Photobucket.

[img=http://i.imgur.com/dLNU3Kk.jpg] OR [img]http://i.imgur.com/dLNU3Kk.jpg[/img]

Resize images with the "width" parameter:

[img width=200]http://i.imgur.com/dLNU3Kk.jpg[/img]

Link images to other web pages using the [url] code:

[url=http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/wiki/heroes/malfurion][img width=200]http://i.imgur.com/dLNU3Kk.jpg[/img][/url]

Center images and videos with [center], and link videos with [embed]. Be sure to get the direct video url (again, right click the video and copy the video url / paste).

[center][embed=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ecv0bT9DEo][/center]

Text Coding

Size 7
Size 6
Size 5
Size 4
Size 3
Size 2
Size 1

[size=#]Text Goes Here[/size]
Italic Text = [i]Italic Text[/i]

Bold Text = [b]Bold Text[/b]

Underlined Text = [u]Underlined Text[/u]

Bold Italicized AND Underlined! = [b][i][u]Bold Italicized AND Underlined![/u][/i][/b]

Hyperlink = [url=http://www.heroesfire.com/]Hyperlink[/url]

Colored Text = [color=blue]Colored Text[/color]

Hex Code Colored Text = [color=#8fc9c1]Hex Code Colored Text[/color]

• Bullet 1
  • Bullet 2
  • Bullet 3
=
[list]
[*] Bullet 1
[*] Bullet 2
[*] Bullet 3
[list]

Columns

Columns and Tables are a way to put things exactly where you want them. They can get a little complicated, but if you mess around with them you can make some very nice layouts!

Columns code goes like so, you can have as many [nextcols] as you want:

[columns]

[nextcol]

[nextcol width=50]

[/columns]
This starts the column code

This adds a column

This adds another column, that is 50px wide

This ends the column code

Example:

I made the first column 65px in width, since I knew I'd be adding a 50x50 icon to it. This way there is nice spacing between my icon and my text. This is a generally useful code for explaining abilities, classes, what have you, as people can find the icons easily then read the text!

Click here to see the code!

Tables

Now onto tables! Tables are more complicated, but you have better controls for the look of your layout. Tables work exactly the same as they do in html if you are familiar with it, and you can read html table help here.

Parameters that affect [table], [tr] and [td]: bgcolor, width, height

Parameters that affect [tr] and [td]: padding, colspan

You can add as many [tr]'s and [td]'s as you want! (tr = table row, td=table cell)

Think of rows fitting in tables, and cells fitting in rows, you have to have them in order, cells within rows and rows within tables: [table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Also there needs to be the same amount of cells per row if you have multiple rows, otherwise the layout can get funky. See my example for how to handle this with colspan.

[table]

[tr]

[td]

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]
This starts the table code

This adds a row, you always need at least 1 row

This adds a cell to the row you just made, you need at least 1 cell

This ends the cell

This ends the row

This ends the table code

Example:
The row above has padding="10px" added to the cells so that they have some breathing room, this adds an invisible 10px border around every cell. This row I'm typing on right now has a bgcolor="#2b2727" to make it pop, as well as padding="10px" to give a nice margin. The cells to the right and left are colored white and use width="15px" to control their width. The height automatically adjusts to the height of this cell. There are also 2 more cells that are the same but without bgcolor for padding. The colspan=6 makes the number of cells in both rows even, and the width="350px" in the table constrains the size so the class icons don't spread out.

Click here to see the code!

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Community Manager>
Memorable (51)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mrflippy » August 22, 2014 3:51pm | Report
this will come handy :)
Want to play? Battletag: flippy#2778

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mrflippy
<Moderator>
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Flyingmohawk » August 26, 2014 6:38am | Report
Very Nice! I can now update my guide to look more flashy!

Flyingmohawk
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Tappin » September 5, 2014 5:57pm | Report
I added icons to my zagara guide. I couldn't figure out the icon grooved spines. The page says grooved-spines-zagara, but grooved spines zagara doesn't work and just grooved spines gives Abathur's version.

Also, do you know why my guide doesn't show up under heroes...zagara? Is it because I have no votes yet? I can find it under all guides, but not filtered for zagara. FlyingMohawk has a pretty good guide, but he and I play very different. He goes for more of a focus on lanes and pushing, while I focus on team fights first which also happens to be really good at merc camps.

Tappin
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Tappin » September 6, 2014 8:21am | Report
Started a Gazlowe guide and having the same problem with some moves. I can't seem to figure out the icon for Rock-It Turret! I guessed a bunch of different combos like rock-it turret!, rock-it turret, rock it turret!, rock it turret, etc.

Is there a place where we can see the icon code for each move? Maybe it should be added to each ability page? Or maybe we could get a tool in the editor for inserting the icon or double bracket versions of any talent or ability easily?

Tappin
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Tappin » September 6, 2014 9:43am | Report
Found it. I guess some abilities have shortcuts, but you can just use the full URL path like: abilities/rock-it-turret.

Tappin
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » September 7, 2014 12:49pm | Report
Added "Grooved Spines Zagara" as an alias, so if you wanna use that instead of the longer version you can now!

I see your guide under Zagara now, could've just taken a little time for the filter to catch up, not sure, I will ask the devs. :)

Looks like the proper spelling would've been "Rock-It! Turret." You should always be good if you copy the display name exactly. However, I'm adding a few aliases in - Rock it Turret, Rock it Turret!, Rock it! turret etc to help people who are confused, since it is a very specific wording.

The only abilities that seemed to be giving you trouble were ones with a duplicate name, and one that just had a very specific spelling. I think adding these aliases should solve these issues.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm sure you've helped a lot of future guide writers. :)

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Community Manager>
Memorable (51)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Tappin » September 27, 2014 11:34pm | Report
Mowen wrote:

I see your guide under Zagara now, could've just taken a little time for the filter to catch up, not sure, I will ask the devs. :)

I guess I had to flag it as a hero guide over on the right. But you'd think that would be automatic given that it's a guide about a hero. Once I did that, it showed up under Zagara.

Mowen wrote:

Looks like the proper spelling would've been "Rock-It! Turret." You should always be good if you copy the display name exactly. However, I'm adding a few aliases in - Rock it Turret, Rock it Turret!, Rock it! turret etc to help people who are confused, since it is a very specific wording.

The only abilities that seemed to be giving you trouble were ones with a duplicate name, and one that just had a very specific spelling. I think adding these aliases should solve these issues.

A few others gave me trouble. I found that whenever I have trouble, the URL version always works. For example, talents/grooved-spines for Grooved Spines and talents/rock-it-turret-xl for Rock-It! Turret XL.

Tappin
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » September 29, 2014 2:35pm | Report
Alright I will check those out, thanks!

And we will look into that hero guide thing, I do think it's supposed to automatically pick Hero Guide if it has a hero build in it.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Community Manager>
Memorable (51)
Quote | PM | +Rep by angryfatbear » October 19, 2014 10:04pm | Report
[edit deleted]
North America - Hero League rank 11

angryfatbear

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved