Heroes of the Storm Forums

Free Coaching for New Players - Helpful Tips for Rank 1

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nutmeg » October 2, 2015 2:55pm | Report
My name is Nutmeg and I am offering free coaching to new players who are set on getting to Rank 1. I was Rank 1 pre-reset and I am climbing to Rank 1 again with my alternate account. I can offer you helpful tips ranging from how to improve you hero control (i.e., mechanics) as well as how to do well when solo or duo queuing in Hero League. A lot of my experience come from playing Starcraft (Master league if that means anything to you :D), so I can share with you tricks that I've learned playing RTS games.

Here is a thread about "Helpful Solo Queue Tips" I posted on Reddit that got quite a few positive feedback:
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/3j1k4j/helpful_solo_queue_tips/

If you'd like you can also check out my stream and you can send me a message there:
http://www.twitch.tv/nutmeg3

Streaming from Sunday to Friday 2PM - 6PM PST

Side agenda: I want to find some good players to form a team :)
Tag: Nutmeg#1364

Nutmeg
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0rkch0pexpress » October 4, 2015 6:46pm | Report
Followed you and set it for when you go online. Looking to get beyond AI now that Ive practiced enough but I want to get in with a decent group so I dont develop any bad habits and learn a bit more about organized group strategies. Looking forward to your stream !

P0rkch0pexpress
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nutmeg » October 5, 2015 10:29pm | Report
Sorry had to fix some stuff today and did not get to stream properly. I will definitely do so tomorrow. Feel free to add me as well: Nutmeg#1364

Nutmeg
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0rkch0pexpress » October 6, 2015 3:05am | Report
No worries and added

P0rkch0pexpress
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by munkieKONG » October 6, 2015 8:36pm | Report
Here's a tip for rank 1. Roll the ****ing dice. No amount of skill can overcome the morons matchmaking will put on your team if there's a minimum of 3 randoms. Went from 1 game away from r1 to r6 today. Festivities ranged from full game afks to kael that dives a full screen ahead of the tank to the classic "stitches got changed so he's obviously good now" pick. Matchmaking is a joke. Don't respect anyone with rank 1. Theyre just lucky.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
munkieKONG
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nutmeg » October 12, 2015 5:36pm | Report
Live: Oct, 12 5:00 PM PST

Nutmeg
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Goga » October 15, 2015 8:39am | Report
Thanks for the guide Nutmeg. Some tips were really helpful. I've started playing HL around the time the ranks got reset and was climbing more or less steadily. The highest rank I got to was 24. Then, last week, things changed suddenly. I've started loosing most of the games I play (60% - 70%) and dropped back to lvl 31. I don't think that my skill level suddenly changed. Are these swings normal in HL? Was I just lucky in the beginning?

Goga
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nutmeg » November 24, 2015 2:31pm | Report
Hey Goga,

Super late reply, but here it is :)

The current matchmaking system is not very reliable. I've personally gone on repeating 8 game win streaks followed by 5 game losing streaks. In my honest opinion, with the current matchmaker the games are heavily decided by the weakest player on your team. If that player is just new to the game or just does not know the general strategies for each map and the game over all (e.g., when to group, watching out for ganks) then you are at a disadvantage. Identifying if you have that kind of a player on your team as soon as possible is one key to winning games. What you can do next is either babysit that player all game (lane with them or follow them around) or give them meaningful advice on what they can do to be more of a team player. Overall, don't let losing streaks get you down, just work on improving your own performance in the games.

Blizzard did announce during Blizzcon about a new matchmaker system so hopefully that works out for the best of the game. There's also Team League which I've been playing a lot more recently. I highly suggest trying out Team League if you haven't done so already. There are tons of people on the battlenet forums looking for other to group up with. Best of luck on the ladder :)

Nutmeg
Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved