Heroes of the Storm Forums

How would HotS function as an eSport?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by CelticBadger » December 29, 2014 6:56am | Report
As a huge fan of esports, I always find it fascinating to see how a game ends up typically being played in tournaments etc.

HotS doesn't have that single, classic 'typical' map that is used in other MOBAs, and I was wondering if anyone had any predictions on how this is going to be handled (or should be handled).

Do you think that a particular map will be chosen as the default in single game series because it is the most balanced without too much snowballing? Will tournaments pick, say, three maps out of the pool and play best of 3? Or do you think the standard will be to have pick/ban on the map pool like they have in Starcraft tournaments etc.?

From what I've played, HotS looks like it's going to provide a really fresh esports experience - a really good casting team commentating on pros while they balance objectives with sieging, ganking and jungling will be very exciting, I hope.

CelticBadger
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » December 29, 2014 7:27am | Report
I suspect the maps will be handled much like the heroes.

Each tournament will select a pool of maps and heroes that are permitted to be used in the tournament with the first map of every set being chosen at random by the tournament admins. The second map of a set would be chosen by the losing team and so on until a best of three or five is completed. (A set).

As far as how it will function as an esport? I suspect it will function quite well because of its focus on team play instead of individual supremacy, its openness to new players (thus not having an entry cap) and its simplicity of play but complexity of strategy. These are all traits shared by some of the greatest esports (with the exception of Starcraft which isn't much of a "team" game).
Raynes #1676
Always looking to enjoy a few good games.

Valadeus
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nighthawk » January 1, 2015 9:49pm | Report
It might funcion well, although I don't think it will ever be a behemoth like League.

I don't think it will ever do well until it has more heroes and a lot more differences between comps and different heroes are able to be built differently at the highest level. Right now from what I've seen most games seem to play out pretty much the same, the only difference being what map you're on.

There's no way it would be popular if you don't use all the maps IMO.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Nighthawk
<Editor>
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » January 2, 2015 7:09am | Report
It's in Alpha at the moment, expect a lot to change. The game's meta will be ever-changing, potential heroes have already been announced and it's been stated that many more are still to come, new maps and even custom-made maps are already announced as being included...

Most of what you've stated as setbacks are already being addressed.
Raynes #1676

Valadeus
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nighthawk » January 2, 2015 7:41am | Report
Valadeus wrote:

It's in Alpha at the moment, expect a lot to change. The game's meta will be ever-changing, potential heroes have already been announced and it's been stated that many more are still to come, new maps and even custom-made maps are already announced as being included...

Most of what you've stated as setbacks are already being addressed.

Right...but until it's out of Alpha and those changes have been made (if they are) you have to go off of what there is right now.

I didn't say it would never be a successful esport, just that it will have to do something to be one because as it is now it won't be.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Nighthawk
<Editor>
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Valadeus » January 2, 2015 9:47am | Report
That's fair and I would agree.

I apologize for misunderstanding you.
Raynes #1676

Valadeus
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by deathKamp » January 29, 2015 4:11pm | Report
I think it has a lot of promise. Compared to DOTA/LoL... it has clear objectives. There is so much more action in this game than the others... I think the fact that the game will be more fun to WATCH makes a big impact on whether or not it will make it.

Of course... at the moment.. it is limited in hero pool... and as I suspect some sort of draft will come about with ban phases to emphasize strategy... With the current hero pool, it just isn't good enough yet.

When it grows and we near the 50/60+ hero mark... (which I suspect it will) I think the game has incredible potential to do well in the eSports realm.

I watch a LOT of pro DOTA... the only thing that makes it interesting are the announcers tbfh... the amount of "big plays" are slim in ratio to the length of games... this game is fast paced and very team fight oriented which is awesome.

I expect big things.

deathKamp
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nkredible » March 10, 2015 3:02pm | Report
need like 30+ more heroes. i say at least make 100+ like league to make the game more diverse. a buddy of mine is in media and has mentioned his interest in commentating for hots in some form. im excited for what hots will bring to esports as this game is ALL ACTION and exciting to watch. lets hope for and make it happen! there are major steps the game needs to take though to clean up the toxicity of the community to make it more fun and enjoyable. but thats for another time and thread im sure. just my 2 cents.

Nkredible
Quote | PM | +Rep by Shunai » March 11, 2015 4:19am | Report
I can see it working with a standard first-game map, then losers pick next map in a Bo3/Bo5 setting.

I do agree the game will need more heroes before it can rly become an esport, but it definitely has alot of potential. It's such a unique game compared to other moba games and it has alot of action going on constantly so it can be very entertaining to watch with some proper spectators.

Shunai

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved