Heroes of the Storm Forums

Matching questions

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Buzzbomb » June 15, 2015 8:20pm | Report
I was going to post this in the official forums..but I'm not brave enough. Hopefully this community is friendlier, first time I've read through these forums really. Firstly, I'm not understanding the hero ranking system. I always played quick match before release because I like to just pick a hero and play with little pressure. After release though quick match is a horrid place to play so hero league is my only place to play. I had no trouble getting to rank 22 (before release), but I CAN NOT get higher. If i win I will get maybe 1/5 of a rank but if I lose then I lose about 1/3 of a rank, now I'm rank 25. I've lost 3 in a row just tonight and they weren't even close, over in 15 min. After looking up my teammates we aren't even close in games played or hero level..I'm not sure how else to compare us. Games played is my best bet on game experience. I've played 600 games and I'm being grouped with people nowhere near that amount.
Quick match isn't making sense either. I'm getting steamrolled in every mode I choose. Is this because my mmr was inflated at release so I'm being "taken down a peg"?? If so, it's a really bad system since I know it isn't fun for the 4 teammates either.
I have some friends that I've played with. They have had no trouble getting to rank 1 and in the 10's, but my win rates are better..So, I'm confused. Any help on what I can do to get ranks would be appreciated because I'm at a loss and I like this game too much to quit just because I'm frustrated..

Buzzbomb
Quote | PM | +Rep by Severage » June 15, 2015 10:39pm | Report
I'm kind of confused. Your win rates are better in HL and you're lower Rank? So you must've played quite a few less games than your friends, yes?

AFAIK, HL matchmaking looks at Win Rates and Rank (Or some mixture of the two, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly win rate), along with how many players you have in your party, to match your games.

If you were winning all your games at Rank 50, naturally your MMR would skyrocket because your winrate would be extremely high. This results in the game giving you a lot of points when you win, because your MMR is higher than your Rank. It is trying to boost you to where you need to be. It also probably puts you up against harder competition.

As I understand it, the closer your win rate is to 50% the less rank points you will gain and lose, because the system is happy with your Rank the closer it is to 50%. When you start winning more often than you're losing, you'll start to climb ranks again as your MMR dictates you are in the wrong league.

Also, there may be a "Shock" effect if you just recently started losing games. Say you have 90% win rate through 30 games and you're rank 20. Suddenly, you lose 3-5 games in a row. Since your MMR was so high flying through the low ranks, it might be shocked at the sudden drop in win rate and think you have reached your "ceiling" and try to keep you at that Rank until you once again start winning consecutive games.

A lot of this is conjecture at how the ranking system works, I'm no blizzard employee or anything close to one. I'm Rank 1 and have been for a long time so I can't really tell you from experience.

TL;DR If you lose your "MMR momentum" for whichever reason (Trolls, AFKers, whatever happens) from a super high winrate at low ranks you'll probably have to grind the rest of the way.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Severage
<Beta Tester>
Remarkable (29)
Quote | PM | +Rep by GiGGa » June 15, 2015 11:15pm | Report
I know that blizzard was talking about matchmaking a while back. It is terrible right now though :/

Me and my friend (Both level 40 - Rank 25+) played a game against a full team of rank 1's with 3 LEVEL 8-20 players on our team...
I suggest you play with your friends until we get details on what Blizzard plan to do.

Good luck in future!

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
GiGGa
Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved