Heroes of the Storm Forums

What's up with all the empty "guides"?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on HeroesFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Retsky » August 20, 2015 3:19pm | Report
So I'm on Heroesfire every day. I'm reading guides, looking at new ones, and polishing my own.

Lately I've noticed an incredible amount of "guides" that consists of 1 or 2 builds, with one single line like "this is just a build" / "hai gais wat is up tudai ill show u best bild for merky" / "pick this, then this, everything else sucks" or the classic " "

Yeah, last one there, that's literally empty. No text whatsoever. GREAT GUIDE GUY!

What I'm trying to say is, there's soooooo many effortless ****py useless dumb witted stupid "guides" out there.
It's really annoying when you spend 4-5 hrs making a guide, and then some guy comes in with a guide like this: "OK BUBBLE 2 WIN GAID HERE. Use telents abuvv to wiin. oke like and subscribb BRAUFIST"
After that he calls his mom and dad, makes them upvote the **** out his guide, then he calls his friends from kindergarten, make them upvote it and BAAAMM, you have a purple line. That makes the guide just a tad little bit more tempting to click, resulting in tons of views, which again results in credit for work that a skunk could've done better.

I love heroesfire, and I still use it all the time. I just wanna know if you guys are looking into this as an issue, or if it totally abides the holy law of guide posting.
"Never be game over"
My guides: Leoric / Kharazim / Lt. Morales

Retsky
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Severage » August 20, 2015 4:04pm | Report
I think it's assumed that guides that are poorly written (Or not written in the case of the classic " "), won't get the same viewership or attention as a fully fleshed out How-To of a specific Hero.

In every example I've seen in recent memory, this is eventually the case.

Although they do add to clutter - those who use Guides as "Build Pages" should just link Builds from the Talent Calculator.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Severage
<Beta Tester>
Remarkable (29)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Retsky » August 20, 2015 4:41pm | Report
Severage wrote:

I think it's assumed that guides that are poorly written (Or not written in the case of the classic " "), won't get the same viewership or attention as a fully fleshed out How-To of a specific Hero.

In every example I've seen in recent memory, this is eventually the case.

Although they do add to clutter - those who use Guides as "Build Pages" should just link Builds from the Talent Calculator.

Yeah I was assuming the same, but in some cases they actually get a lot of attention, which I think is a bit unfair. All-in-all tho, I don't mind as they never get ALL the credit, which is good.

I'm pretty sure there's not much to do except deleting them, or having guidelines and rules for posting.
"Never be game over"

Retsky
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Veiled » August 21, 2015 1:07am | Report
If there's an empty guide being upvoted, feel free to report those to me. As far as the quality of guides, we can look into setting a standard, but as of now I don't think it's moderated much.
Community Manager & Social Media for HeroesLive. <3 Follow me on twitter: @Veiledgg

Veiled
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Retsky » August 21, 2015 6:59am | Report
Veiled wrote:

If there's an empty guide being upvoted, feel free to report those to me. As far as the quality of guides, we can look into setting a standard, but as of now I don't think it's moderated much.

Ah ok, I will!
Great to hear you might look into it. Thanks :)
"Never be game over"

Retsky
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Talotta1991 » September 12, 2015 11:06am | Report
I was starting to think i was the only one who felt this way even my most poorly written guide (Johanna) admit im a bit ashamed of but still its better then some peoples. Half the guides spamming up the forum looks like someone smashed there face on the keyboard and hit submit. Don't get me wrong though not bashing the shorter guides notable ones being written by Eggy (think that's his name) but there are A LOT of just no effort spam guides that i just don't get how they're even getting up votes or views.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Talotta1991
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Veiled » September 12, 2015 8:15pm | Report
I'm not really sure what people are doing with their guides. Empty ones (at least the non-compilation ones) may be something used to link to guild/team mates etc. Again, please report any guides directly to me if you think there's something wonky going on! :)
Community Manager & Social Media for HeroesLive. <3 Follow me on twitter: @Veiledgg

Veiled
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Goffterdom » September 14, 2015 8:18am | Report
Hi :)

I'm the one creating "this is just a build" builds, I created 5 of them.

And yes indeed, I'm using them as links for my guides or simply back-up informations. You might say I could use one single guide and update all of my builds on it but it is far from being as clear as one guide for one hero. I also use the Talent Calculator but only to quick-link some stuff, not to actually brainstorm and share my builds.

If it bothers you too much, tell me and I'll clear them.

Quoted:
I love heroesfire, and I still use it all the time. I just wanna know if you guys are looking into this as an issue, or if it totally abides the holy law of guide posting.

I agree with you about the frustration that can come from seeing low job work being rewarded when your passionated guide is looked down at. But I guess this is what the free information (Internet) is and we might aswell just deal with it ;)

Goffterdom
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » September 14, 2015 12:28pm | Report
On other sites we have a "full guide" and "build only" distinction based on a min # of characters threshold. Looks like it's time to add it to HeroesFire, so we'll work on getting that up. :)

Guide listings will be set to only show "full guides" by default but can be filtered to include or just search for builds.

This should be a good solution to all of the issues mentioned in this thread.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Mowen
<Community Manager>
Memorable (51)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Severage » September 14, 2015 1:33pm | Report
That sounds like a very good solution.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
Severage
<Beta Tester>
Remarkable (29)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

HeroesFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite HotS hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 HeroesFire | All Rights Reserved